Within the past few weeks I have found that I have come across a number of articles/blogs with titles along the lines of “I didn’t know this common household item would be harmful to my dog”. And out of the articles I have read- I didn’t know these items were damaging either, I even personally own some of the things on the list.
With this brought to light, I wondered “what other potential hazards are lying in wait around my home?”
Here are a few of the findings that I didn’t know were potentially harmful to my dogs.
- Essential oils – essentials oils are a new trend in the holistic wellness community. They are known for their variety of benefits as well as the many ways it can be used i.e. absorbed through the skin, water soluble, ingested, diffused into air/water vapor etc. While these are currently some of the most “natural” holistic remedies on the market- some are still harmful to dogs. For example Tea Tree Oil can be absorbed orally or through the skin. While .1% of tea tree oil is tolerated and safe for pets, larger increments can cause visual skin irritation and rashes as well as other ailments or illnesses… and this is one of the most commonly used essential oils in homes today. You can put a few drops of Tea Tree oil in your diffuser every day and be unknowingly poisoning your pet.
- Xylitol – a common substitute for sugar and other sweeteners. Xylitol can cause low blood sugar inducing seizures, liver failure, or even death in dogs. Other miscellaneous items that may contain Xylitol gum, toothpaste, mouth wash, lotions and deodorants. Even foods stating “sugar-free” can still contain Xylitol.
- Tulips – Tomatoes, lilies, tulips and other plants and flowers are considered to be in the Nightshade family, and can be toxic to dogs. Remember this the next time your significant other surprises you with a just because bouquet!
- Heavy Metals – It should probably go without saying that heavy metals aren’t the best chew toy for a dog. But when you break it down to paint chips from an old piece of furniture or pennies forgotten in the couch cushions, it seems much more plausible, right? These metals contain toxic variables such as led.
- Fabric Softener Sheets – Yes we all love that fresh + clean new sheet smell – but certain fragrant chemicals within fabric softeners can be harmful when directly put into contact with your dog. Here are some dog safe laundry brands for those of you who aren’t willing to compromise those sweet smelling sheets!
Amberly of Bones and Blogs